Guidance Notes for Capital Grant Applications 2018-19
This grant round is now closed - no further applications will be considered.
Watch this space for details of possible forthcoming grant rounds.
What funding is available?
Capital grants of up to £5,000 per school, subject to available funds and a competitive bidding process.
Larger bids may be considered where 50% match funding is provided i.e. for a grant of in excess of £5,000 the total project value must be in excess of £10,000. As well as this, bids for £5,000 or under, which can demonstrate match funding - from the school or another source - will be looked upon favourably although this is not a requirement of the bidding process.
Where is the funding from?
The funding has been allocated as part of Kent's Integrated Transport programme for 2018-19.
This is the small scheme investment programme for highways and transportation improvements across the county. A key objective of the Integrated Transport programme is to develop schemes which encourage sustainable travel and reduce congestion.
School travel plans, reviews and the support and buy-in of Kent schools are viewed as key components of this objective.
When and how will the funding be allocated?
Successful applicants will be notified by email and will be asked to complete an online Grant Agreement and Conditions form, outlining the key Terms and Conditions of the grant.
Schools will be expected to fund all projects up-front and invoice Kent County Council ( sample template) on completion of the works. Proof of purchase e.g. copies of contractor invoices and photographs will be required. Schools will be required to self-manage all funded projects including procurement and installation.
Proof of legitimate use of these funds must be received by Thursday 28th February 2019.
What can the funding be spent on?
This is *capital* funding that can be spent on any physical feature *within the school grounds* which you can demonstrate will support the aims, objectives and targets within your School Travel Plan. Categories include:
- Cycle/scooter storage
- Pupil safety measures
- Footpath improvements
- Bus pick-up and drop-off facilities
Please note: the above list is not exhaustive, and innovative bids will be looked on favourably.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible to apply for this funding you must:
- Have an approved school travel plan. Please note: if your School Travel Plan has not been created using the Jambusters system you will need to ensure that you have uploaded a copy of your current School Travel Plan to your school's profile.
- Not received funding in the last two years through KCC's School Travel Plan Capital Grant Awards
- Have fully completed the Annual Travel Review for 2018 together with the Capital Grant application section on this site, and have submitted this online by Tuesday 26th June 2018. If you are not already registered click here or to login click here
- Be able to fully implement your scheme within the financial year 2018/19 (schools should check if planning permission is required prior to submitting the Capital Grant application, which may affect you being able to implement the scheme within the timings required)
- Be able to provide evidence of other funding sources, should you choose to use this grant as match-funding for a larger project
How will applications be assessed?
All applications will be objectively scored and assessed based on the information provided in the Application Form.
Applications will be assessed by the Transport Innovations section in KCC Highways, Transportation and Waste.
All applicants will be informed by email of the outcome of the assessment process on or before Friday 13th July 2018.
The decision of the assessment panel is final and no correspondence will be entered into concerning unsuccessful applications.
All provisionally successful applications may require a site visit or to provide additional information or clarification of project proposals, prior to final grant award.
Who can I contact for further advice and clarification?
KCC Highways, Transportation and Waste
0300 041 9582