What is a school travel plan?
A School Travel Plan is a document which sets out how a school will promote safer, active and sustainable travel to school, with the main emphasis being on reducing the number of children being driven to and from school which could help:
- reduce the number of car journeys to your school
- establish positive active journeys to school
- improve both mental and physical health through physical activity
- promote independence and improve safety awareness
- reduce the environmental impact of the journey to school
The travel plan helps schools to gather information on travel-related issues which may affect pupils and parents on the journey to and from school. More children travel to school by car now than ever before and for these children, this means:
- less exercise
- less understanding of their local environment
- less experience of making journeys on their own
Developing or updating the school travel plan could help to change this for the better.
Schools are then able to gather the information and evidence required to make decisions and prioritise the measures and/or initiatives to be implemented in order to help improve the travel issues faced by the school.